In search for inspiration I turned to the internet this weekend and I stumbled upon the movie ‘Patch Adams’. I have seen this movie a few times (it was a 1998 film with Robin Williams) and yet I was very surprised by how inspiring his speech was near the end of the film.
- If we’re going to fight a disease, let’s fight one of the most terrible diseases of all, indifference.
- Every human being has an impact on another. Why don’t we want that in a patient doctor relationship?
- Always live in awe of the glorious mechanism of the human body.
- Let that be the focus of your studies and not a quest for grades which will give you no idea of what kind of doctor you’ll become.
- Share their compassion. Let that be contagious.
- You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person and I guarantee you win, no matter the outcome.
- It’s amazing how inspiration is everywhere in the world, if we just take notice of it. I would never have thought a movie like Patch Adams would inspire me again, but why not? This film was based on the life of the real Patch Adams. Looking into him just a little (by visiting his website) is enough to see he’s a really inspirational man, even without the movie.
So the message for us here is to welcome the inspiration that is all around us. All of life is an inspiration. If we just take it in a little, we might just feel some of our true worth. I suspect this is more than I’m able to comprehend.
Please let me know what you think of this Patch Adam’s speech. Did you find it inspirational as well? Can you share anything similar that you find as inspiring or more inspiring?